We know today is all about love, but single or married, there is one thing all Arizonans (and especially Arizona natives like us) can celebrate on February 14th- Arizona’s birthday!
At your Jubilee we are proud to be born and raised in this great state! In honor of the Valentine’s State’s 103rd birthday, we thought it would be fun to share 14 fun facts about Arizona- and bake AZ a birthday cake!
1. Arizona is home to the worlds largest flowering rose bush, located in Tombstone. Thats right, Tombstone wasn’t just a home to outlaws and western gun battles, but also an 8,000 square foot rose bush!
2. Bow ties, step aside, the official state neckwear in Arizona is the Bolo Tie. Usually this neckwear is a piece of woven leather with metal tips, held together by an ornamental clip.
3. Arizona leads the nation in copper production. In fact, the amount of copper on the roof of the state capital building is equivalent to 4,800,000 pennies.
4. Greater Phoenix is home to more than 200 golf courses thanks to our amazing winter weather. They Valley averages 211 sunny days and 85 partially cloudy days a year.
5. According to legend, Phoenix gets it’s name from Darrell Duppa, a Cambridge educated pioneer who saw the prehistoric canals of the Hohokam and believed another civilization would rise from the ashes.
6. In case you were wondering, in Arizona it is against the law for donkeys to sleep in bath tubs. I guess it’s best to leave them outside.
7. Because it’s easy to get parched in our dry weather, it is against the law to refuse someone a glass of water.
8. The Fountain Hills fountain is believed to be the tallest in the world.
9. You know how London Bridge fell down? Well they re-built it in Lake Havasu City! Seriously, all the stones were shipped over and the bridge was reconstructed in AZ after Robert McCulloch purchased the stones for 2.4 million dollars.
10. Any misdemeanor crime committed while wearing a red mask is automatically upgraded to a felony.
11. There is definitely no ocean front property in Arizona, but that doesn’t stop us from buying boats! Arizona has more boats per capita than any other state!
12. Arizona is home to the most hummingbird species- 14 to be exact!
13. South Mountain Park is the largest city park in the world, covering more than 20,000 acres.
14. It takes a saguaro cactus 50-100 years to grow an arm, but cutting one down could earn you 25 years in prison.